Aware of the unusual and dedicated efforts of Student Branch Counsellors and Branch Chapter Advisors, the Regional and Technical Activities Boards sponsor a cash award to each of approximately ten outstanding Counsellors and Advisors throughout the world.
Winners will be those individuals who, through their work as Counsellors and Advisors, exemplify the Institute’s commitment to the educational, personal, professional, and technical development of students in IEEE related fields of interest.
Each winner will receive a US $500 cash award and a personalized certificate. For the Student Branch submitting the nomination for the award recipients selected will receive a US $200 cash award. Announcements of award recipients will be made in March.
Students submit an essay in English (not to exceed 1,500 words) on why they feel their Branch Counselor or Branch Chapter Advisor has earned the qualifications of “Outstanding Branch Counsellor and Advisor” for the year. Student Branch and Section interaction and activities are an important part of the award criteria.
Recommended supporting documentation provided by the Branch or Branch Chapter (in English):
- Petition of endorsement by Branch or Branch Chapter members.
- Letters of recommendation from persons such as other IEEE faculty members, Department Chairs, fellow Student members, and IEEE Section Representatives.
- Brief biography of Counselor or Advisor emphasizing his or her IEEE related activities rather than technical contributions.
Please supply the information requested on the Nomination Form: OBC_Nomination_Form
Possible resources for preparing the nomination include the Electrical Engineering Department Chair or appropriate subject matter teacher, Dean of Engineering, faculty members, Dean of Students, Academic Dean, fellow Branch or Branch Chapter members and IEEE Region, Section or Chapter volunteers.
Please note that IEEE maintains publishing rights to print excerpts from all material submitted.
Past winners are ineligible for renomination for a four-year period.
Regional Student Activities Committee Chairs (RSACs) are also ineligible during their term of office.
Nominating Branches or Branch Chapters must meet the requirements of the IEEE Bylaws in the current academic year, by submitting required reporting forms and holding at least three meetings during the year.
Basis for Judging
The primary criteria for selection are the enthusiastic support of the Counsellor or Advisor by his or her students and the commitment he or she has made to the engineering profession by the fostering of activities which encourage the development of IEEE Student members. Other factors include:
- Evidence that the Branch is active in the paper, device, and other competitions and has an active program of meetings and field trips.
- Evidence that the Branch has either a high membership level or good growth.
- Evidence that the Branch is striving to meet the scientific, educational, and professional purposes of the IEEE.
- Recognition of efforts to instill leadership qualities in student officers and to guide them in their efforts to administer the Branch or Branch Chapter operations.
- Recognition of efforts to assist student officers in the development of yearly activities which lead to the technical and professional awareness of Student members.
- Recognition of efforts to foster effective interaction between the Student Branch and the local IEEE Section. The required evidence will be two letters, one from the Student Branch and one from the Section
28 February (annually)
Send nominations and direct questions to:
IEEE Student Services
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331
Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331 USA
Phone:+1 732 562 5527 or 5392
Fax: +1 732 463 9359