Region 8 IEEE is quite diverse in nature covering Europe, Africa and the Middle East. It is the fast growing IEEE Region. The average income in various R8 countries differs significantly. That is why a IEEE R8 Voluntary Contribution Fund (IEEE R8 VCF) was created. This fund is fed by voluntary contributions donated by Region 8 members. The money is then used to support members and especially students and graduate student members with low income in their professional and technical activities.
This support is not intended for living costs or benefits, but for members’ professional activities. The fund supports various projects but mainly:
- Travel support for participation in conferences that are located in Region 8 and organised or sponsored by IEEE R8 organisational units.
- Support for IEEE Student Branch Technical Activities within the Region 8.
These are not the only topics to be covered by the Voluntary Contribution Fund. Please contact the R8 VCF Coordinator Adam Jastrzebski (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your project ideas.
1 – Travel support to take part in a conference in R8:
- Member of IEEE R8 at least in a second year.
- Gross personal income less than 10 000 USD per year including scholarship, social benefits, etc.….
- Travel to a conference sponsored or co-sponsored by IEEE, R8, Society or Sections of Region 8.
- Paper accepted for presentation at the conference (only one travel support per paper).
- Conference within the geographical area of Region 8. Some conferences organised worldwide by IEEE societies are also eligible for VCF support.
- Conference presentations should bear an acknowledgment to R8 VCF.
- Money used for travel and subsistence (travel: airline, train or bus ticket – economy fare only; accommodation; meals only for students and applicants with income under $100/month). No money to meet conference fees.
- Send originals of expense receipts with the expenses Form to the R8 VCF coordinator.
- The maximum amount provided can not exceed US$1000.
- Only applicants who have not been supported by IEEE R8 VCF in the last 5 years are eligible. Students may get funding twice in 5 years, to the total amount of US$1000 .
- R8 committee members are not eligible.
- Conditions of eligibility will be checked.
- Application form downloaded here ( VCF Travel 2015), is to be completed by the applicant and sent to the Section Chair or the Section VCF Officer for endorsement, with a copy sent by email to the R8 VCF Coordinator.
- Completed form sent electronically to the R8 VCF Coordinator by the Section Chair. If some money is needed in advance, the Section Chair should ask for it and explain.
- Verification and Clarification (Some points in the form might need clarification, specially about the expenses).
- The Section Chair and the Applicant are informed by e-mail of the decision by the R8 VCF Coordinator.
- The Applicant goes to the conference and acknowledges the support of the IEEE R8 VCF during the presentation.
- Project Report with the completed Expense Form IEEE R8 Expense Sheet (January 2015 V12) and the originals of the expense receipts, up to the amount granted by VCF, should be sent by post to the R8 VCF Coordinator. For additional security, the documents should also be scanned and emailed to the R8 VCF Coordinator.
- Transfer of the money to the applicant by the Region 8 Treasurer when everything is completed.
Applicants should not rely on VCF solely. Applicants should report on the use of money after the project is finished. If the money is sent in advance and not used according to VCF rules, Region 8 is entitled to ask the reimbursement.
If you need more information or have any problem, please contact the R8 VCF Coordinator.
2 – Low Income Student Branches Technical Activities:
Necessary condition: IEEE Student Branch from a country with average gross income of an electrical engineer under $10000 per year.
- Student Branch submits a request to the Section chair with explanation of the aim and outcomes of the project with emphasizing the IEEE member benefits.
- The Section chair endorses the project and sends request to the R8 VCF Coordinator.
Based on the number of applications and available funds, some Student Branches may be asked to find partial funding from other sources (the Section might help).
If the Voluntary Contribution Fund can meet the cost of the project, the request may be forwarded to IEEE R8 Committee.